Monday, September 17, 2012

Injury

So, after giving full gyaan about figuring out the best cardio workout for me I started to feel a growing pain in my feet. My heels couldn't take anymore impact and as I squeezed a near one hour workout in the afternoon I gave myself no time to stretch, which I realized is time consuming but your best bet against injuries at the gym. I did an express stretch of merely five minutes which in itself was bad cause I was hurrying the process. I learned three lessons from my injury and reading alot on the internet.

Lesson 1: Stretch

Positively before and after your cardio work outs. If you have never done stretches ask the physio therapist or instructor at the gym. Get it right and you will have a fun filled exercise life. Especially calf muscles, the back and ankles to hold that whole body up when you are pounding on that treadmill.

Lesson 2: Rest

With two of us injured sitting in London, we can only tell you stop when you are injured. Importantly, the feet or heel. Give your feet rest and time to recover but don't let go of other kind of exercises. If you are not used to strenuous exercise build slowly (although you might want to jump steps like I did). Figure out what your body is telling you. If you do weights your muscles will scream in pain the next day -- that is not injury. Rem the 48 hour rest period -- Alternate the cardio and strengthening workouts cause your muscles need to rest before they can jump back up. So five days of continuous full on cardio workouts may work against you (I should have known this but cause I don't like weights I just thought it would be alright)

Lesson 3: Water

And a lot of it. Apparently drinking at least 3 litres of water is good when you are exercising. Swimming - one of the best exercises for form, fitness and if you have feet injury. Steam or using the sauna can also detoxify.

I am not claiming I do all of this but I don't want you all following the same rabbit hole and this is sort of a form of rant so that I realize what I am not doing right and what I should be doing.

And, Idlis are God's Gift to mankind! 


No comments:

Post a Comment