Monday, August 6, 2012

Fathoming ourselves


This post has been marinating in my head over the last couple of days. I am still debating the wisdom of posting it here—wondering, whether what I am about to say is counter productive to the expressed objective of this blog. But then, most of you guys who know me well, know how difficult it is for me to think one thing and then not immediately say it. So forgive me my lack of restraint.

It’s just that every time someone advocates weight loss, my guards go up. Please don’t get me wrong, I am with you on the need for motivation to tackle weight loss thing. And I do agree that weight can, and does effect your health. But over the last days, I’ve heard food being referred to as the evil enemy, being a foodie referred to as something you need to “quit”, 50 kilos being referred to as fat, and this, has been making me deeply discomfited.

Living in a (rather skewed) culture that places unimaginably high and undue premium on the skinny ideal, to hear friends talk like this, somehow is hitting too close home, I guess.

I’ve pretty much always been seen as fat. And I say seen, because in all the years of relatives, friends, and many time, entirely random strangers, telling me to lose weight, never once has what I think of my own body mattered. I was fat, and so I needed to lose weight, because it is not healthy to not to. And of course, I resented it. More because I didn’t get it. You see, the strange bit here is that I have as many skinny friends as the next person. But standing next to them, I never felt particularly unhealthy, or even less healthy. Of course, I was far from what was the “ideal weight” that was predetermined for me. Even so, I’ve often had more stamina, more energy and fewer health problems that most of them. So I never understood the lose-weight-get-healthy thing, even as doctors have blamed my weight for everything from my headaches to dandruff (I kid you not.). 

And then one day, one doc called it for what it is. When I shrugged at her weight loss talk she said, “Don’t you want to lose weight, be aesthetically pleasing for others to look at?” Aesthetically pleasing.

And therein lies my problem with the whole weightloss rigmarole—the idea that skinny is pretty, pretty is healthy, so shed those tires fatso, so that we can look at you. I think this thinking needs to go—this whole wrapping a deep-seated preference for a body image in the shiny coat of healthy and selling it as concern. I am not saying overweight is healthy, but that we need to stop pretending there is an absolute co-relation between weight and health, because that does not always tick. Our bodies are different, and what works for one should not be the median that the rest of us try to follow. We need to better understand our body, what it is capable of and with how much.

I decided to lose weight when I felt my weight was physically coming in the way of me doing all the everything I wanted to do. And I decided to do it on my own terms—by being in control of what and how much I eat, how much activity I get. I didn’t want to punish my body into submission, I wanted to work with it. And no, I am not losing weight overnight, but I am feeling better about myself.

I think as women, as friends, we need to encourage and inspire each other to get more in control over how we perceive ourselves, and what we make our bodies go through and why. We need to learn, not to hate food and our bodies, warts and all, but to continue to love, but learn to be more in control of both. To not give up on what we love, but to make healthy choices while not beating ourselves up too much for indulging ourselves. Most importantly, to concentrate on how we feel, what we think of ourselves not how we look and how others want to see us. I hope we can all get to healthy—whichever side of the weight spectrum that falls at, without losing our sanity, our loves, or our selves.

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. Thanks for bringing it up. I would be lying if I said my first reason to ever get into hitting the gym was when my then so called boyfriend/pain in my back said he would love me more if I was thinner. But that's not why I exercise anymore. I love the way I feel after zumba or how each time my calves get that chisled look after I cycle for 45min. I would love to get some abs looking at women divers in the Olympics but this is my want to be supple and flexible. Strong and with lots of stamina because if I ever get a bf I wamt to go trek up maChu pichu and not die trying. I guess I should have asked each of u why u want to lose weight and steer to a healthier lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with the post! TOTALLY.

    Somehow everytime I try to lose weight to look good...it never lasts or never works. But yes, everytime I try a healthy lifestyle so I can swim more, feel fitter and be more confident it lasts longer.

    I agree that the core idea here is not weight loss but the adoption of a healthy lifestyle that will help support us live a great adventurous life for many years to come!

    However, I do believe it starts with a little bit of weightloss and an inculcation of the right habits to start living the lifestyle. Lets motivate each other to continue to hit our weight loss targets but also keep in mind the need for good health.

    Nutrients, good habits, fun and happiness. Those are the goals here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post for two reasons: One, reading Sneha after ages, so as soon as I saw her post flash up on my mail, I smiled. Two, it's honest.

    You know when I was super thin, people used to advice me to eat 'properly'. I don't know what that means or meant. And I don't and did not care. I can relate to this post because being too thin was a problem for everybody else but me.

    But now I am fat and I simply do not like it :)! maybe I like me more when I am thin. And I am already happy because, I am eating in moderation. Not starving. Which is better than being a glutton :) that I was.

    But to get to where I am now, I had to let go off high-calorie happiness, let go of what I love maybe a little too much. There's some kind of strange happiness, satisfaction and content in controlling myself from giving in to temptations. I don't think I can explain that. :)

    But I do hope I get to read more of you :)!

    ReplyDelete