Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Shakshuka

So I finally tried this Israeli dish out. Read a few recipes, got tired and then made my own. It wasn't that bad. 

Or so I think. It seems it adds up to only 260 calories or thereabouts. So here's what I did.

Finely chopped an onion, then 3 tomatoes (recipes say you need garlic too, but there wasn't any at home!)

Looked for tomato puree (I used instant coz I don't have patience to make from scratch)


Cut some green chilies

Then, I put the onions in oil and sauteed it till they were brown.
Put the tomatoes in. And then the puree. 
Because I didn't have garlic, I added some Pizza-Pasta sauce. (mistake! it was a little over-powering)
I sauteed till the tomatoes were vulnerable enough to break with a nudge.
Then covered it and let it cook, till it was slightly watery.
Then added salt and green chilies. 
Then broke an egg on top of this mixture. 
Covered it. Let it cook for about 5-10 minutes. (I don't like sunny side up, so I let the sun set)
Then added some coriander (love coriander)

Ready to eat!

It was not bad for a first attempt. Only, I added too many chilies, sauce and did not have bell peppers and paprika and garlic. 

Try it. Please :). And let me know if you liked it. Definitely better than Oats!!

Happy Eating! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment